Hello fellow winemakers…Winter Checklist…
I thought I would take this opportunity to remind all of us of what we should be perhaps doing in our wine cellars and in our Vineyards at this time of year.
- Keep your bulk wine that is aging topped off. If it is not completely fall it should at least have a layer of inert gas on top.
- Make sure that your aging bulk wine is properly sulfited. Keep the So2 going in your wine. Check, add, and adjust monthly! Most winemakers recommend that you keep 40 ppm of sulfites in your wine while aging.
- Test to make sure that your Wine has finished it’s Malolactic fermentation if you inoculated it in the fall. You can use test strips, chrome tests, Vinemetric kit, or send it off for a professional to test it for you.
- Pruning. This year may be a tough one to time properly as it is been so warm and such a small amount of rain. I usually watch my neighbor, and when he prunes, I prune. He’s a pro so I figure he always knows more than I do! Watch your vines for swelling buds and prune before they push out.
- Finally, pop open A bottle of one of your previous vintages, and enjoy!!
Mary Jane LaBerge
January 18, 2018
After a number of futile horn toots. President Mary Jane finally got the members’ attention with a profound observation: “puppies, babies and grapes…they just show up”, and with that the meeting came to order.
Snacks (Kate Keller)
Thanks to Kate Keller for all the munchies (homemade cookies were heavenly). Kate passed around the 2018 “Snack” sign-up list. There’re still a few dates that need to be filled, so please volunteer if you haven’t already.
Minutes (Susan Lemkin)
November/December minutes were approved.
Treasurer’s Report (Robert Mosblech)
The Club balance is in the black. The only up-coming expense will be the annual liability insurance (approx $450).
Equipment Manager (Rick Hanson)
The AWA equipment is hibernating in Rick’s barn. Members threw out a “wish-list” of items for the membership to consider purchasing:
- Bladder Press
- Additional Crusher/Distemper
Old / New Business
* Spring Trip: Robert is pulling together a trip to the Monterey Peninsula, May 8-10 (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). He’s working with a hotel in Carmel which will provide room, breakfast, lunch & snacks, plus he’s arranging winery visits in the Carmel Valley and Highlands. As an added bonus Robert’s trying to arrange a special visit to the Monterey Aquarium, where he’s a member. Registration forms will be sent to members via email in early February.
* 2017 Club Crush: Members gave updates on their Zins.
* Wine Competitions: Mary Jane reminded members about approaching deadlines for entry into competitions like Bottle Shock and WineMakers. Also County Fairs will soon start advertising for entries into their competitions.
* Elections: Mary Jane appointed John Reeves, Kate Keller and Doug Ebersole to head up this year’s AWA Election Committee.
With much applause, fanfare and words of praise, the Golden Bung was awarded to the Richardsons, Schnepps & Schwankis for their fantastic work on the Christmas party.
Lannie is scheduling speakers for monthly meetings and Mike Jones is trying to arrange for Dennis Miller, a UC Master Gardener, to give a special pruning seminar Saturday, March 10.
Amador Winemakers Association membership is open to anyone interested in making wine, growing wine grapes, or just enjoying great fellowship and tasting wonderful wines. Our program is educational, social and mutually supportive of grape growers and home winemakers. Annual dues are $50.00 per year, per family and we usually meet monthly for fun and knowledge. If interested in the AWA please contact us or join online today.