Good day fellow winemakers,
This month my message will merely be about all of the events that we have coming up in the next couple of months as we have so many!
Before I begin however, I would like to pay tribute to one of the founding members of the AWA Association who passed away last month: Pat Henry. I did not have the pleasure to personally know Pat, but I have heard from so many how beloved he was. Additionally I was told that he was a talented and passionate winemaker. I was also told that he gave a lot of his time to this club. He will be missed by many.
Our next general membership will be held on April 19th at Marlene and Glen’s diner in Plymouth. We will no doubt be discussing the up and coming spring field trip to the Monterey area that Bob and Doris so graciously planned out for us. The date for that field trip is May 8, 9 and 10th. The fee for the field trip is $100 per person and the deadline to pay that fee is April 16. The deadline to register for the hotel expired on March 31 but you are still encouraged to participate in the trip by paying the $100 fee for the tastings, box lunch etc… but you will just have to make your own accommodations. I am very much looking forward to this trip!
We will be having a general membership meeting on May 17 and that is the day that we will be voting in the new board. Out with the old. In with the new! We will have a new face on our club in many ways, even our logo is getting a remodel potentially. Robin has selflessly given of her time by managing our website for years, and now Philip is going to take over those reins. Thank you so much to both!
On June 10th we will have a barbecue at Rancho Victoria In Plymouth! How much fun will that be! A big thank you to Lee and Barbara for organizing that! I hear the grounds there are spectacular. Yeah!
Also, please consider entering some of your wines into the up and coming Amador County Fair wine competition. More information on that to follow.
Lastly, I would like to end with……”CHECK THE HEADSPACE ON YOUR WINE that’s bulk aging and for god’s sake, CHECK THE SULFITE LEVEL!!!! Amen.
Mary Jane LaBerge
March 15, 2018
VP Lannie Staniford called the meeting to order.
Snacks (Kate Keller)
Thanks to Karen and Lynn Powell for the snacks.
Minutes (Susan Lemkin)
February minutes were approved.
Treasurer’s Report (Robert Mosblech)
The Club bank balance is in the black with $XXXX (redacted per LR).
Equipment Manager (Rick Hanson)
Old / New Business
* Annual Dues: Moved, seconded and unanimously approved that membership dues will be $50 per year, with NO proration. Notices will be sent out in the next few months, with dues due and payable July 1. With the new AWA website members will be able to pay online.
* Spring Trip: 28 people are currently signed up for the May 8-10 Spring Trip to Carmel/Monterey. Cut-off date for signing up is April 16.
* Wine Competitions: Lee Richardson is again heading up the Amador County Fair wine competition. Entries will be accepted May 1-June 8. Check the website www.amadorcountyfair.com for details and entry forms.
* Elections: The committee (John Reeve, Kate Keller and Doug Ebersole) has been busy contacting prospective candidates for all 5 positions that will be up for election. Voting will be held at the May 17 meeting. The new Board will take office July 1.
* AWA Website: Philip Senechal is busy creating a new look and new features for the Club website. It’s expected to be ready to launch in April.
* Spring BBQ: Lee Richardson has arranged for the BBQ to be held Sunday, June 10, 5-8pm, at Rancho Victoria Winery off Hwy 16 in Plymouth. The Club’s June meeting will be held in conjunction with the BBQ.
Stan Grant of Progressive Viticulture and an associate of Mid-Valley Agriculture discussed “GRAPEVINE NUTRITION”.
April 19: Philip will give a tour of the new AWA Website.
Amador Winemakers Association membership is open to anyone interested in making wine, growing wine grapes, or just enjoying great fellowship and tasting wonderful wines. Our program is educational, social and mutually supportive of grape growers and home winemakers. Annual dues are $50.00 per year, per family and we usually meet monthly for fun and knowledge. If interested in the AWA please contact us or join online today.